St Albans vet clinic warns pet owners about contagious rabbit virus

Grey baby rabbit on a white background.

Grey baby rabbit on a white background. - Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Vets have treated a rabbit in St Albans with a contagious disease which causes a “quick death”.

Vets4Pets, which is part of Pets at Home at Abbey View Retail Park, treated a rabbit for RHD2, or Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease this week.

Previously, the clinic had received an email from the Royal Veterinary College, saying that they had treated a case earlier this year, but this is believed to be the first case in St Albans.

Vets4Pets practice manager Laura Thorne said: “RHD2 is quite a new disease for rabbits, there’s only been one other case as far as we are aware in Hertfordshire.

“It causes very quick death in rabbits, and it’s something that can be vaccinated against.”

Symptoms of the disease can include lethargy and diarrhoea.

Rabbit owners who are concerned about the disease are advised to contact their vet and try to have their rabbits vaccinated.