St Albans teachers set to go head-to-head with Arsenal football stars
- Credit: photo supplied
THE Arsenal Charity Team is to take on a group of St Albans teachers in a good cause.
Teachers from St John Fisher School, Hazelmere Road, are putting their limbs - and reputations - on the line at the charity football match on Sunday, September 22, to help raise funds for a school building project..
But staff are seeking outside help, calling on residents to sponsor or support the event, or even play in the match, if they are over the age of 30.
Parent governor Jonathan Gratte explained that the game kicked off a series of events to help the school raise funds for its “Fisher fifty project”.
St John Fisher School will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2015 and hopes to secure enough funding over the next two years to construct a building to provide additional space for specialist and music lessons.
You may also want to watch:
Jonathan added: “We are a very small school with about 200 pupils so this is a high profile event for us.”
The Arsenal Charity Team boasts football stars of yesteryear, along with television celebrities. Former Gunners include Ian Selley, Jimmy Carter, Chris Whyte, Eddie McGoldrick and Omer Riza.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
Residents keen to offer sponsorship and play in the match can email details to email@example.com
Jonathan said that St John also wants former pupils, teachers or friends of the school to get in touch ahead of the 50th anniversary celebrations, through the same email address.
The charity match kicks off at 1pm at the Harpenden Town Football Club, Rothamsted Park.