St Albans taxi strike to go ahead on Saturday night
A TAXI strike due to take place tomorrow (Saturday) in St Albans will definitely go ahead, the cabbies have confirmed. There will be no taxis available in the city centre between 10pm on Saturday and 4am on Sunday morning, as drivers demonstrate in a dis
A TAXI strike due to take place tomorrow (Saturday) in St Albans will definitely go ahead, the cabbies have confirmed.
There will be no taxis available in the city centre between 10pm on Saturday and 4am on Sunday morning, as drivers demonstrate in a dispute with the district council.
Terence Flanagan, secretary for the driver's branch of trade union GMB, explained that the council's refusal to increase fare prices and their introduction of new licensing laws has incensed the St Albans cabbies. "It's all preposterous, especially the new six-point rule. Any driver with six points on his or her driving licence will be unable to get a license to work for a year, which would be crippling to their livelihood", he said.
The dispute was further exacerbated yesterday (Thursday) when a passenger lodged a complaint against a St Albans taxi driver.
You may also want to watch:
Said Mr Flanagan: "The complaint was dealt with in the driver's absence and the council gave him no opportunity to respond. GMB will of course be representing this member in an appeal against the council."
Mr Flanagan said that the union's attempts to negotiate with the council were rejected, and that the strike on Saturday was a last resort.
- 1 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 2 Street food market in St Albans city centre to celebrate Eid
- 3 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 4 London Colney paddling pool to close - but splash pad replacement approved
- 5 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 6 County council leader unseated in shock result
- 7 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 8 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 9 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted
- 10 Property Spotlight: A fine fixer-upper close to popular St Albans schools