Shop Local: St Albans taxi firm evolves to stay in business
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans taxi company has come up with a creative way to support local businesses.
Corker Cars of Ridgmont Road, is offering customers a cheap way of arranging delivery of goods bought from shops and restaurants using their existing taxi app.
Prices are fixed in advance, so users will know what they are paying for before ordering.
It was launched following complaints from restaurants about the high percentages required from platforms such at Uber Eats, Just Eat and Deliveroo.
Corker initially worked with the team at St Albans BID in providing food parcel deliveries for the homeless and those in need, but as time has gone on, they have supported several local restaurants such as Bar Meze, Infuse, The Hare and Hounds, The Rose and Crown and Souvlaki, and they are now branching out to include retailers as well.
You may also want to watch:
Mudassar Yasin from Corker Cabs said: “As a local business ourselves, we understand how ‘keeping it local’ helps the local economy thrive.
“Money you spend with us is mostly spent locally too. Using big platforms such as Amazon and Uber takes money away from local economies.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears