Legendary St Albans swimming teacher retiring after more than 30 years
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to a long-standing swimming teacher who is retiring after decades of service.
Valerie Graham-Clare taught hundreds of children and adults in St Albans over more than 30 years, first at SwimGym and then at Strokes Ahead Sandringham, both held at Sandringham School in Marshalswick.
Many of her pupils have become qualified swimming teachers or lifeguards themselves, inspired by her lessons.
Valerie’s business partner, Jan Morse, is taking over Strokes Ahead for the future.
Jan said: “She is absolutely brilliant, she’s inspiring and motivational and she always did the same thing so you knew what to expect - which is what you need teaching swimming.
You may also want to watch:
“She is very fair, one of the fairest people I have ever met. Rather than run a business with high profits everyone got a fair share and it was more of a cooperative and it made people want to work with her.
“She will be missed.”
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 8 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
Jan explained that she became involved in the swim school when Valerie was teaching Jan’s children and asked the mums to help out.
Ex-pupils, teachers and parents clubbed together to give Valerie a leaving card, gardening vouchers, and two planters of magnolias to thank her for the years she dedicated to teaching.
SwimGym is for both children and adults and Strokes Ahead is for adults.