St Albans leisure centre offering free swimming lessons
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans leisure centre is offering free swimming lessons for school children during this year’s Drowning Prevention Week.
Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre on Holywell Hill will be running the Swim England and RNLI Swim Safe module, alongside swimming lessons, for all primary school pupils between June 17 and 21.
This ties in with the drowning awareness week from June 14 to 24.
Westminster Lodge general manager Lesley Garner said: "Everyone Active is committed to helping young people learn this life-saving skill in a fun and safe environment.
"We want to help children increase their confidence in and around water, and ensure they are equipped with the correct skills to keep themselves, and others, safe should they find themselves in a difficult situation in the water."
You may also want to watch:
More than 700 people drown in the UK and Ireland each year - Drowning Prevention Week aims to reduce these statistics.
Book a place on a free swimming lesson by contacting Westminster Lodge.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 9 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire