St Albans leisure centre offering free swimming lessons
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans leisure centre is offering free swimming lessons for school children during this year’s Drowning Prevention Week.
Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre on Holywell Hill will be running the Swim England and RNLI Swim Safe module, alongside swimming lessons, for all primary school pupils between June 17 and 21.
This ties in with the drowning awareness week from June 14 to 24.
Westminster Lodge general manager Lesley Garner said: "Everyone Active is committed to helping young people learn this life-saving skill in a fun and safe environment.
"We want to help children increase their confidence in and around water, and ensure they are equipped with the correct skills to keep themselves, and others, safe should they find themselves in a difficult situation in the water."
You may also want to watch:
More than 700 people drown in the UK and Ireland each year - Drowning Prevention Week aims to reduce these statistics.
Book a place on a free swimming lesson by contacting Westminster Lodge.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 3 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 4 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 5 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 6 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 7 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 8 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 9 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 10 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping