St Albans leisure centre offering free swimming lessons
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans leisure centre is offering free swimming lessons for school children during this year’s Drowning Prevention Week.
Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre on Holywell Hill will be running the Swim England and RNLI Swim Safe module, alongside swimming lessons, for all primary school pupils between June 17 and 21.
This ties in with the drowning awareness week from June 14 to 24.
Westminster Lodge general manager Lesley Garner said: "Everyone Active is committed to helping young people learn this life-saving skill in a fun and safe environment.
"We want to help children increase their confidence in and around water, and ensure they are equipped with the correct skills to keep themselves, and others, safe should they find themselves in a difficult situation in the water."
You may also want to watch:
More than 700 people drown in the UK and Ireland each year - Drowning Prevention Week aims to reduce these statistics.
Book a place on a free swimming lesson by contacting Westminster Lodge.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests