St Albans surgeon who had affair with patient is struck off
- Credit: CENTRAL NEWS
A MARRIED surgeon has been struck off the medical register after a tribunal ruled his sexual relationship with a patient has impaired his fitness to practice.
Dr Jonathan Beacon, 66, had an 18-month affair with a 39-year-old woman who was referred to him for knee surgery at the Elms Consulting Rooms in Hall Place Gardens, St Albans, following a motorbike accident.
At a Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) hearing on Monday the panel ruled the surgeon had breached his position by engaging in a sexual relationship with a “vulnerable” patient and banned him from practising medicine.
MPTS panel chair Dr Linda Buchanan said: “The panel has determined that Mr Beacon’s conduct has seriously undermined the public trust in the profession, and that an order of erasure is necessary to ensure the protection of patients, the maintenance of public confidence in the profession, and the declaring and upholding of proper standards of conduct and behaviour.”
The affair between the father-of-three and the woman lasted from December 2006 to July 2008 while she was being treated by him.
You may also want to watch:
During the hearing the panel considered suspending Dr Beacon, who also held private consultations at the Spire Hospital in Harpenden, from the medical register but deemed his actions to be too serious. They also said they could not be satisfied his misconduct would not be repeated.
Dr Beacon’s name will be struck off the register in 28 days from Monday’s ruling unless an appeal is lodged.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
To cover this period the panel has suspended his registration with immediate effect.
He was not present or represented at the Manchester hearing.