St Albans supermarket promises action over disabled spaces
A ST Albans supermarket which was criticised by a shopper for not taking steps to stop illegal parking in disabled spaces has promised action over the problem. A frustrated disabled shopper who did not wish to be named threatened Morrison s in Hatfield Ro
A ST Albans supermarket which was criticised by a shopper for not taking steps to stop illegal parking in disabled spaces has promised action over the problem.
A frustrated disabled shopper who did not wish to be named threatened Morrison's in Hatfield Road, Fleetville, with legal action over its failure to police designated spaces.
But he has now heard that following a letter to the manager Mike Ward, which was copied to the chief executive of Morrison's, the store is planning to employ a parking attendant who will work for 30 hours a week.
The attendant will start work in the next few weeks and have the power to levy a �60 fine during those periods on any able-bodied people parking in disabled places.
You may also want to watch:
The shopper has been so angry about the situation that he has even printed his own leaflets which he puts under the wipers of cars parked in disabled spaces without badges.
He had threatened the store with legal action after Mobilise, the charity which promotes mobility for disabled people, successfully took a supermarket to court in Wolverhampton and won �5,000 over its failure to prevent able-bodied motorists using disabled spaces.
- 1 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 2 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 3 Call from St Albans Museum for start of Ramadan
- 4 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 5 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
- 6 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 7 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 8 St Albans GP publishes guide to living
- 9 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area