St Albans students win prize for sex education workshop
- Credit: www.matthewwalkerphotography.com
A quartet of young health champions have won an award for developing a sex education workshop for schools.
Julia Watson, Katie Jones, Julia Halligan and Madeleine Hames, all members of St Albans Youth Council (SAYC), won the national Youth Health Champion Campaign Award which recognises young people who have developed and delivered an inspirational health campaign.
It was part of their training to become health champions and the award is supported by Public Health England.
The four girls felt that sex education in some schools was inadequate leaving some youngsters poorly prepared and at risk of physical, emotional and social harm.
They asked other young people what information and guidance they felt they needed and developed a workshop which included a video they had put together to help their peers consider different messages about sex education.
You may also want to watch:
It has been delivered to the rest of SAYC and Year 12 students at St Albans Girls School with a view to it being delivered to all students at STAGS in Year 10 and above.
The project was supported by the county council’s Youth Connexions and as the quartet was unable to get to the award ceremony, it was collected on their behalf by Ellie Appleyard and Emma Beswetherick, members of SAYC and students of St Albans High School.
- 1 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 2 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 3 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 4 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 5 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping
- 6 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 7 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 8 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 9 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted
- 10 County council leader unseated in shock result