St Albans student wins prestigious Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Credit: Archant
A student St Albans’ Beaumont School has won a prestigious Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award.
Joseph Byers travelled to the Palace of Holyrood in Edinburgh to receive his the prize.
The ceremony was hosted by the Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward, following his assumption of some of his father’s duties.
There was also a surprise appearance by Her Majesty The Queen and Prince Phillip, as they left the palace via helicopter to an engagement in Stirling.
Joseph was presented his Gold award by Paula McGuire, the adventurer who next year intends to swim all around mainland Britain.
You may also want to watch:
Joseph has been inspired by his Duke of Edinburgh adventures to continue adventuring.
He has since successfully applied to take part in Project Trust. He will be leaving the UK in August to start work with the charity for a year in Japan.
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 3 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 4 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 5 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 6 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 7 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 8 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 9 Seven-up for Devine as Colney Heath reach final of spring cup
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week