St Albans student returns in triumph after sailing around the world
A WORLD record-breaking teenager will return home this weekend after sailing around the globe for charity. Mike Perham, 17, a student at Oaklands College in St Albans, was crowned the world s youngest solo circumnavigator when he crossed the finishing li
A WORLD record-breaking teenager will return home this weekend after sailing around the globe for charity.
Mike Perham, 17, a student at Oaklands College in St Albans, was crowned the world's youngest solo circumnavigator when he crossed the finishing line in Cornwall on Thursday after a nine month voyage.
Mike, who continued studying for his BTEC national diploma in sports whilst at sea, left for his 24,000 mile voyage last November and sailed across the Lizard/Ushant finishing line at around 9.45am.
Mike, who will dock in Portsmouth tomorrow, first became hooked on sailing at the age of seven and when he was 14 became the youngest person to cross the Atlantic solo, a childhood ambition which his sailing father Peter encouraged him to achieve.
You may also want to watch:
Mike, who lives in Potters Bar, is aiming to raise �1 for every mile sailed over the course of his global voyage and he will donate all the money to his two favourite charities, Save the Children and The Tall Ships Trust.
Mike said he's dedicated to fundraising and added: "Saving the life of a child can be simple. Whatever you do in life - whether facing the challenge of an epic voyage or taking a positive approach and donating to charities - it's about believing that you can make a difference."
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 8 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
See next week's Herts Advertiser for more on this story