St Albans stop-off for 13-marathon man
- Credit: Archant
Intrepid charity walker Dave Knowles stopped off in St Albans as part of his 13 marathon challenge in aid of the Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA).
Dave, 29, an account manager from Halifax now living in Whitley Bay, embarked on the epic challenge last month in memory of his mother-in-law Linda Embleton.
The 13 marathons in 13 days from north to south England came after he completed 12 other challenges this year including the London Marathon, the Edinburgh Marathon, the Great North Run, the London Triathlon and eight more gruelling cycles and runs.
He arrived in St Albans prior to setting off for his final destination, Nelson’s Column, the following morning.
In the city to see him off on his final marathon was the Mayor, Cllr Annie Brewster, along with the chair of the local MNDA branch, Lesley Ralston.
You may also want to watch:
Dave believes his lucky number is 13 - he was born on the 13th - and so planned 13 challenges during 2013 – all to raise £13,000 for MNDA, a target he had almost reached last week.
He said: “I was inspired to do this challenge and raise money for MNDA by my wife’s memories of her mum, who sadly died from motor neurone disease aged just 58. I can only blame Eddie Izzard for the inspiration to run this final 13 marathon challenge!
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 10 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
“I hope that my challenge encourages more fundraising for this charity that works so hard to support people living with motor neurone disease and ultimately find a cure.”
To make a donation to Dave’s fundraising, go to www.justgiving.com/Doolist2013challenge4MNDA