Women’s organisation Soroptimist International name new president for 2020-21
- Credit: Archant
The London Chilterns region of global women’s organisation Soroptimist International has appointed their new president.
Helen Byrne has been an active member of Soroptimist International St Albans and District for 12 years and is currently facilitator of the Club’s Planet Team which focuses on environment projects.
She said: “I am humbled to be regional president, especially in 2020-21, the Centenary Year of Soroptimist International. We have achieved so much and yet there is still so much to do, hence my theme ‘Celebrate the Past, Create the Future’.”
Helen takes over from Denise Powell from Harpenden, who is also an active member of the St Albans Soroptimist Club.
The handover, which normally happens at the annual AGM, happened between Helen and Denise the day before the virtual meeting.
You may also want to watch:
Helen said: “Twelve members of our club were present on Zoom at the conference to support us and the feedback has been wonderful.”
Ann Beatty CEO of the Steve Sinnott Foundation, who is also a member of the club, was a speaker on the day.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 8 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 9 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Jane Slatter, communications officer for the St Albans Soroptimists, said: “I think this is the first time contiguous presidents have been from the same club. All members of our club are really proud.
“Denise has been a wonderful president and we know Helen will be fabulous – watch this space!”
Outside her work as a Soroptomist, Helen is a retired librarian and is a busy volunteer in the St Albans Community, especially as a volunteer for Rennie Grove Hospice.
For more information about the organisation, visit soroptimistinternational.org