St Albans signalmen reunited
- Credit: Archant
OVER 30 years after they last completed their shift on the final working day of a St Albans signal box, Steve Lake and colleague Geoff Ryland have been reunited.
It was a cold day in December 1979 when signalman Steve finished his shift at St Albans South Signal Box and handed over to his colleague Geoff.
It was to be the last day that the signal box was operational controlling trains through St Albans.
When Geoff finished his shift eight hours later, the engineers took over, closed the box down and switched on the new colour light signals.
Steve and Geoff went their separate ways and did not meet again until last Sunday when they both revisited the old signal box.
You may also want to watch:
Steve is still a signalman operating the signal box at Llandudno in North Wales whilst Geoff has retired and lives near Kidderminster.
Both made special journeys to attend the recent open day.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 4 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 5 Turning over a new leaf as lockdown ends
- 6 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
- 9 Community opens book shed to share the gift of reading
- 10 Saints in the City initiative will bring sports projects to local community
The afternoon was spent reminiscing about days gone by and entertaining the other visitors with their stories of how the signal box operated in days gone by.
The award-winning Grade 2 listed signal box is on Ridgmont Road close to St Albans City Station and is open to the public on a regular basis. Entry is free.
The next open day will be Sunday, August 24, and from 10am to 4pm on September 14 annd 15, the signal box will be open during the Heritage Open Weekend.