St Albans shopper reunited with stolen phone
- Credit: Archant
A victim of theft was reunited with her mobile phone moments after it was taken while she was out shopping in St Albans.
Herts Police were called to Boots in St Peter’s Street at around 12.40pm on Wednesday, April 22, after CCTV footage alerted them to a man allegedly acting suspiciously in the store.
A man was stopped and within minutes a woman reported that her mobile phone was missing, but the phone was found after the police did a search.
Ann-Marie Owen, St Albans’ Safer Neighbourhood Team sergeant, said: “This is another great example of our partnership working with St Albans City and District Council’s Community Protection Team.
“Having direct links with each other via the Business Against Crime radio network is invaluable, as it means we are able to respond quickly to reports of suspicious people.
“We regularly have PCSOs and police officers patrolling the high street to ensure visitors have a safe and enjoyable shopping experience in St Albans but to also act as a deterrent to potential thieves.”
Neil Kieran, the council’s principal community protection officer said: “Tackling pick pockets is a top priority for the Community Safety Partnership and we will all continue to ensure that St Albans is a hostile environment for criminals.”
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 10 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
• Catalin-Dumitru Niculae, 33, of no fixed address, was charged with theft and has been released on bail to appear before Central and West Herts Magistrates Court on Friday, May 8.