St Albans shop joins in Free Comic Book Day
- Credit: Archant
DOZENS of free comics are being given away by a St Albans store this weekend.
Chaos City Comics in Heritage Close is celebrating Free Comic Book Day on Saturday with special giveaways from Marvel, DC, Dark Horse and pretty much every other major comics publisher.
There should be something available for all tastes, whether it be super-heroes, cartoon characters, science fiction, fantasy and beyond.
Free Comic Book Day is when participating comic book shops all over the world give away comic books absolutely free to anyone who comes into their stores in an effort to encourage new people to become interested in the medium. The first event was held in 2002 and it has gone from strength to strength ever since.
Chaos City owner Derek Watson said: “Comic books are an original American art form, created in the early days of the 20th Century. They are fun to read, featuring a wide range of diverse story lines that capture the imagination of the readers. That’s worth celebrating and we’re proud to be a part of this wonderful medium. And now many parents and school teachers are discovering that comics can also be a useful tool for improving visual literacy and general standards of reading.”
You may also want to watch:
Chaos City opens its doors at 10am on Saturday and will encourage new readers to try a comic book whilst stocks last.
More information about the event, including a list of the comics that will be available on the day, can be found on the Free Comic Book Day website: http://www.freecomicbookday.com
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans