St Albans schools and community groups can apply for extra salt for winter from this week
- Credit: Archant
St Albans district schools, resident associations, community groups and councils can apply for extra salt from Friday, September 1.
Herts county council (HCC) have advised local groups to prepare for winter.
HCC cabinet member for highways, Ralph Sangster, said: “While it may seem premature as Hertfordshire continues to enjoy the end of the school holidays, we are urging those eligible to apply for salt ready for the winter season.
“Being prepared and thinking ahead is key when it comes to keeping the county moving through the colder months.
“During winter our priority is to keep the main routes as safe as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“On each salting run we will cover around 1,400 miles of road, so it’s a huge task.”
Applications for salt need to be submitted to local councillors before the end of October.
For more information about HCC’s winter service programme visit www.hertfordshire.gov.uk /salting
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests