St Albans schools and community groups can apply for extra salt for winter from this week
- Credit: Archant
St Albans district schools, resident associations, community groups and councils can apply for extra salt from Friday, September 1.
Herts county council (HCC) have advised local groups to prepare for winter.
HCC cabinet member for highways, Ralph Sangster, said: “While it may seem premature as Hertfordshire continues to enjoy the end of the school holidays, we are urging those eligible to apply for salt ready for the winter season.
“Being prepared and thinking ahead is key when it comes to keeping the county moving through the colder months.
“During winter our priority is to keep the main routes as safe as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“On each salting run we will cover around 1,400 miles of road, so it’s a huge task.”
Applications for salt need to be submitted to local councillors before the end of October.
For more information about HCC’s winter service programme visit www.hertfordshire.gov.uk /salting
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 3 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 4 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 5 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 6 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 7 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 8 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 9 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 10 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder