St Albans schools and community groups can apply for extra salt for winter from this week
- Credit: Archant
St Albans district schools, resident associations, community groups and councils can apply for extra salt from Friday, September 1.
Herts county council (HCC) have advised local groups to prepare for winter.
HCC cabinet member for highways, Ralph Sangster, said: “While it may seem premature as Hertfordshire continues to enjoy the end of the school holidays, we are urging those eligible to apply for salt ready for the winter season.
“Being prepared and thinking ahead is key when it comes to keeping the county moving through the colder months.
“During winter our priority is to keep the main routes as safe as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“On each salting run we will cover around 1,400 miles of road, so it’s a huge task.”
Applications for salt need to be submitted to local councillors before the end of October.
For more information about HCC’s winter service programme visit www.hertfordshire.gov.uk /salting
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 9 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire