St Albans schoolgirls are this month’s Community Heroes winners
- Credit: Archant
Three young swimmers have been rewarded for their charitable efforts for Sports Relief by winning the monthly Maltings Community Heroes Award.
The Year Seven girls, Holly Wastell, who attends St Albans Girls Schol, and Charlotte Sevindi-Lima and Izzy Spanswick, both students at Sandringham School, received the award after raising £175 for Sports Relief in a sponsored swim at Westminster Lodge.
Charlotte said they felt “very lucky” to win the award. “We thought that we could help people less fortunate than us and it would just be nice to help them and give to charity. We feel very honoured.”
The trio swam 414 lengths of the 50 metre pool at Westminster Lodge in the space of two hours.
Holly’s mum, Marianne said that Westminster Lodge had been very accommodating when the girls asked to reserve a lane to swim for Sports Relief. She added: “Staff were more than happy to help. I was very impressed with how lovely the team were at Westminster Lodge and how encouraging they were to the girls.”
You may also want to watch:
The Maltings has been running the scheme in line with the Herts Advertiser Community Awards and each month a person or group is rewarded with a cheque for £100.
The girls plan to put their prize money towards a trip to Paris and a shopping spree.
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 9 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 10 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure