St Albans school teams reach semi-finals of investment contest
- Credit: Archant
Three teams from St Albans School have outperformed the stock market, securing their place in the semi-finals of the ifs Student Investor Challenge, a national investment competition.
Competing against 10,000 other teams from across the UK, St Albans School’s leading team made a virtual £7,000 in a three-month period of online trading.
The school’s three teams, each comprised of four pupils per team, will now go on to represent the school in the next phase of the challenge, where they will be awarded points for accurately predicting the closing price of certain assets on a weekly basis, testing a whole new skillset.
If successful at the semi-final stage, the teams will have the chance to reach the national final in April, where an all-expenses paid educational trip to New York and £2,000 awaits the eventual winners.
The ifs Student Investor Challenge, run by financial education charity ifs University College, is the UK’s largest investment competition for schools in the UK. Free to enter, the competition provides teams with two virtual investment portfolios of £100,000 where they are challenged to make both short-term and strategic trades.
You may also want to watch:
Gareth Nichols, head of economics at St Albans School said: “We are thrilled that three of our teams have been so incredibly successful thus far.
“Their progression in the competition to the semi-finals reflects their collective desire to quickly grasp the principles of the stock market, as well as demonstrating their ability to work successfully as a team. I wish them the best of luck as they progress into the next round of the competition.”
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 4 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 5 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 8 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 9 A New York state of mind
- 10 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead