St Albans Saints cyclists ride to Amsterdam to help fight prostate cancer
- Credit: Archant
Football boss, Lawrence Levy, and two fans hope they have helped to rule prostate cancer offside by spending two days on a charity cycle ride to Amsterdam.
Lawrence, co-owner of St Albans City FC who lives in Marshalswick, was joined by two supporters of the club, Brian Robson and Phill Coates, to take part in the Prostate Cancer UK Football to Amsterdam challenge.
A total of 250 cyclists made their way to Amsterdam from the Olympic Velodrome at Stratford and a further 100 travelled from Barnsley to the same destination.
After the challenge, all the teams met up to celebrate their achievements.
Phill, who lives off Harpenden Road, St Albans, wanted to support the cause after being diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2014. He said: “The charity were of invaluable help to me before and after surgery.
You may also want to watch:
“The club have really got behind the charity, which are the official charity of the Football League.
“Lawrence, Brian and I really enjoyed the camaraderie with the 300 riders that took part in this year’s ride, representing football clubs from all over the country.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
The St Albans City team have been raising awareness of prostate cancer to the community by holding collections at some of their games. The cycle group has raised £3,175 so far and would love to raise more through their Just Giving page.
Phill added: “Supporters who have really got behind the charity, made it all that even more special.”
For more information or to donate, click here.