St Albans Saints cyclists ride to Amsterdam to help fight prostate cancer
- Credit: Archant
Football boss, Lawrence Levy, and two fans hope they have helped to rule prostate cancer offside by spending two days on a charity cycle ride to Amsterdam.
Lawrence, co-owner of St Albans City FC who lives in Marshalswick, was joined by two supporters of the club, Brian Robson and Phill Coates, to take part in the Prostate Cancer UK Football to Amsterdam challenge.
A total of 250 cyclists made their way to Amsterdam from the Olympic Velodrome at Stratford and a further 100 travelled from Barnsley to the same destination.
After the challenge, all the teams met up to celebrate their achievements.
Phill, who lives off Harpenden Road, St Albans, wanted to support the cause after being diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2014. He said: “The charity were of invaluable help to me before and after surgery.
You may also want to watch:
“The club have really got behind the charity, which are the official charity of the Football League.
“Lawrence, Brian and I really enjoyed the camaraderie with the 300 riders that took part in this year’s ride, representing football clubs from all over the country.”
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 May 17th: Fighting Cocks landlord overjoyed to welcome customers back
- 3 Brave teenager pens book on eating disorder and mental health
- 4 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 5 St Albans' Caribbean community launches volcano relief fundraising campaign
- 6 Sustainable markets will top and tail annual St Albans eco-festival
- 7 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 8 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 9 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 10 Schools across Herts miss out on £1.9 million of free school meal funding
The St Albans City team have been raising awareness of prostate cancer to the community by holding collections at some of their games. The cycle group has raised £3,175 so far and would love to raise more through their Just Giving page.
Phill added: “Supporters who have really got behind the charity, made it all that even more special.”
For more information or to donate, click here.