St Albans rotary club appoints first female president after 40 years
- Credit: Archant
After being set up more than 40 years ago a St Albans-based rotary club has appointed its first woman leader.
Wendy Howson, 67, has been made the first female president of the Rotary Club of St Albans Verulamium for being active in supporting local and international charities.
The Harpenden resident was invited to be the first woman member five years ago after she gave a presentation to the group about her experiences working with Rotary India and staying with remote mountain people in the Himalayas.
Since then Wendy has served as chair of the international committee and secretary and vice president for the club.
Apart from being its first woman president, she is also a founder-trustee of Desmond Tutu Diversity Trust and serves as a trustee for the local Harpenden Spotlight on Africa which operates in Uganda.
You may also want to watch:
Wendy said: “It is a great honour for me to be the first woman member of this remarkable Rotary club where I have met such dedicated members who truly make a difference to communities both locally and abroad.”
The club is made up of professional and business people who serve the community with the motto ‘Service above Self’.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
Wendy said: “We raise funds through various events and projects including the annual St Albans Charity Cycle Ride.”
Members also work with young people through the annual Rotary young chef and technical tournament competitions and arrange outings for the physically challenged.