St Albans Road in Bloom winners crowned
- Credit: Archant
Some of the city’s finest front gardens have been recognised following the second year of a Roads in Bloom competition.
Homes in Bedford Road, Alma Terrace, Alexandra Road and Inkerman Road entered the competition, which helped to raise funds for Grove House Hospice.
It was organised by neighbour David Glanville, and each household had to pay £5 to enter, with an impressive £710 raised in the process.
David said: “This has been another fantastic competition with plenty of community spirit and we have had lots of comments from visitors about how wonderful our roads look. Thanks to Ayletts Nurseries and all our other sponsors for their support, which has helped us raise so much money for Grove House.”
The judges this year included Marcus Cousins who is horticultural manager at Aylett Nurseries, Cllrs Chris White and Michael Green and last year’s winners.
You may also want to watch:
The winners were: 1st - 9 Alexandra Road, Adam Savage and Susan McCloskey; 2nd - 11 Bedford Road, Tricia Field; 3rd - 15 Bedford Road, Sarah Darvill; and 4th - 8 Bedford Road, Chris and Helen O’Brien.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 6 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 7 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 10 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire