St Albans restaurateur becomes patron of meals on wheels service
- Credit: Archant
Award-winning St Albans chef Phil Thompson is so impressed by meals on wheels food that he has agreed to become the first patron of the local service.
As the recent guest of the Hertfordshire Independent Living Service (HILS) at the Jubilee Centre in Catherine Street, Phil, owner of Thompson St Albans, Hatfield Road, sampled dishes that are served to customers in their own homes.
He told HILS chief executive Sarah Wren: “I have known restaurants working with far bigger budgets who can’t consistently deliver food as good as this. It is warm, tasty comfort food, the sort my Mum used to cook.
“You need and deserve the full support of the community, and I am so impressed with the passion you show for what you do. I wish some of my chefs had half your passion and commitment. You are doing an amazing job.”
Phil learned about the logistical considerations HILS have to take into account, making sure meals arrive piping hot and catering for a wide range of nutritional needs.
You may also want to watch:
HILS delivers half a million meals each year across the county, mainly to residents who are elderly and frail. It has become one of the largest meals on wheels providers in the country, growing rapidly since its launch in 2007.
With the restaurateur on board, HILS hope to develop its social business and dispel any misconceptions about the quality of meals on wheels food.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire