St Albans restaurant shortlisted in RSPCA awards
TV presenter says business awards recognise firms going the extra mile
A ST ALBANS restaurant is a finalist in the annual RSPCA Good Business Awards, which recognises companies going the extra mile or doing something different for animal welfare.
Lussmanns Fish & Grill Restaurants in St Albans, Hertford and Bishop’s Stortford have been shortlisted in the food category of the competition. This section highlights companies which advance animal welfare by sourcing their products in an ethical way.
Managing director of Lussmanns, Andrei Lussman, said: “The welfare of what we eat should come first when eating.
“Restaurants and retailers owe it as much to the diner as to the animal in insisting that the animal must live a fulfilled life before death. If we cannot afford this simple but essential approach we should consider not eating meat.”
You may also want to watch:
Richard Johnson, food judge, journalist and TV presenter, joins independent food consultant Dr Geoff Spriegel and Prof. John Webster, Professor Emeritus at Bristol University to judge the food category.
Richard said: “From this year’s entries it’s clear that it now makes good business sense to improve animal welfare. It makes a real point-of-difference in a very competitive market place.”
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 8 At last! St Albans is back in business as shops re-open
- 9 Colney Heath in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at St Albans office building
Judges said there has been a shift in consumer attitudes and increased demand for higher welfare and local produce.
Winners of the RSPCA awards, which also features fashion, independent food retailer and supermarket categories, will be announced at an awards night in London on Wednesday, October 5.