St Albans restaurant shortlisted in RSPCA awards
TV presenter says business awards recognise firms going the extra mile
A ST ALBANS restaurant is a finalist in the annual RSPCA Good Business Awards, which recognises companies going the extra mile or doing something different for animal welfare.
Lussmanns Fish & Grill Restaurants in St Albans, Hertford and Bishop’s Stortford have been shortlisted in the food category of the competition. This section highlights companies which advance animal welfare by sourcing their products in an ethical way.
Managing director of Lussmanns, Andrei Lussman, said: “The welfare of what we eat should come first when eating.
“Restaurants and retailers owe it as much to the diner as to the animal in insisting that the animal must live a fulfilled life before death. If we cannot afford this simple but essential approach we should consider not eating meat.”
You may also want to watch:
Richard Johnson, food judge, journalist and TV presenter, joins independent food consultant Dr Geoff Spriegel and Prof. John Webster, Professor Emeritus at Bristol University to judge the food category.
Richard said: “From this year’s entries it’s clear that it now makes good business sense to improve animal welfare. It makes a real point-of-difference in a very competitive market place.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
Judges said there has been a shift in consumer attitudes and increased demand for higher welfare and local produce.
Winners of the RSPCA awards, which also features fashion, independent food retailer and supermarket categories, will be announced at an awards night in London on Wednesday, October 5.