St Albans restaurant shortlisted in RSPCA awards
TV presenter says business awards recognise firms going the extra mile
A ST ALBANS restaurant is a finalist in the annual RSPCA Good Business Awards, which recognises companies going the extra mile or doing something different for animal welfare.
Lussmanns Fish & Grill Restaurants in St Albans, Hertford and Bishop’s Stortford have been shortlisted in the food category of the competition. This section highlights companies which advance animal welfare by sourcing their products in an ethical way.
Managing director of Lussmanns, Andrei Lussman, said: “The welfare of what we eat should come first when eating.
“Restaurants and retailers owe it as much to the diner as to the animal in insisting that the animal must live a fulfilled life before death. If we cannot afford this simple but essential approach we should consider not eating meat.”
You may also want to watch:
Richard Johnson, food judge, journalist and TV presenter, joins independent food consultant Dr Geoff Spriegel and Prof. John Webster, Professor Emeritus at Bristol University to judge the food category.
Richard said: “From this year’s entries it’s clear that it now makes good business sense to improve animal welfare. It makes a real point-of-difference in a very competitive market place.”
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 3 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 5 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Raise a glass to the local brewers facing up to the challenges of lockdown
- 7 Property Spotlight: A stunning period conversion in central St Albans
- 8 Lockdown life to be recorded in two museums projects
- 9 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 10 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
Judges said there has been a shift in consumer attitudes and increased demand for higher welfare and local produce.
Winners of the RSPCA awards, which also features fashion, independent food retailer and supermarket categories, will be announced at an awards night in London on Wednesday, October 5.