St Albans restaurant shortlisted in RSPCA awards
TV presenter says business awards recognise firms going the extra mile
A ST ALBANS restaurant is a finalist in the annual RSPCA Good Business Awards, which recognises companies going the extra mile or doing something different for animal welfare.
Lussmanns Fish & Grill Restaurants in St Albans, Hertford and Bishop’s Stortford have been shortlisted in the food category of the competition. This section highlights companies which advance animal welfare by sourcing their products in an ethical way.
Managing director of Lussmanns, Andrei Lussman, said: “The welfare of what we eat should come first when eating.
“Restaurants and retailers owe it as much to the diner as to the animal in insisting that the animal must live a fulfilled life before death. If we cannot afford this simple but essential approach we should consider not eating meat.”
Richard Johnson, food judge, journalist and TV presenter, joins independent food consultant Dr Geoff Spriegel and Prof. John Webster, Professor Emeritus at Bristol University to judge the food category.
Richard said: “From this year’s entries it’s clear that it now makes good business sense to improve animal welfare. It makes a real point-of-difference in a very competitive market place.”
- 1 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 2 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 3 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 4 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 5 Victorian street theatre coming to St Albans city centre this Christmas with classic Dickensian tale
- 6 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 9 St Albans named among UK's best places for Christmas activities
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
Judges said there has been a shift in consumer attitudes and increased demand for higher welfare and local produce.
Winners of the RSPCA awards, which also features fashion, independent food retailer and supermarket categories, will be announced at an awards night in London on Wednesday, October 5.