St Albans Remain group rebrands to continue European fight
- Credit: Archant
The EU referendum may be over but the group of local people who came together to campaign under the Stronger In banner are continuing to meet.
Stronger In has been boosted by many new members since the referendum voted to leave the EU and they were back out talking to the public at the weekend on a market stall, asking the question ‘What Relationship do you want with Europe?’
With St Albans as a district voting by a large majority to remain in the EU, volunteer Chris Jones said “We want to ensure that local people’s concerns are listened to following the national vote to leave the EU.
“Our group felt that we should strike while the iron is hot and get back out and talk to people and understand the issues that are important to them, so we can pass them up the chain.”
Well over 200 responses were collected and Stronger In intends to collate the information and feedback it received and pass them on to both local and national politicians.
You may also want to watch:
Another founding member of the Stronger In group, who wanted only to be named as Judith, said “Many people, from both sides of the argument, are still angry. There is real worry about the future and concerns about being heard by politicians. We clearly have a lot of healing to do if we are to pull together and make this a positive for us all.”.
Stronger In is holding a Global Picnic – Celebrating Diversity, in Clarence Park, St Albans, from 11.30am to 3pm on Sunday, September 4.
More information can be found on the group’s Facebook page where there is also an online survey form.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 8 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final