St Albans radiator firm brings warmth to Mexican prisoners
IS SELLING radiators in an arid part of Mexico like flogging off fridges in the Arctic?
It appears not for one small St Albans firm of just three people who have just shipped close to 800 cast iron radiators to warm inmates of a prison being constructed in Ju�rez, in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
Nick Duggan, co-director of Walney Radiators on Holywell Hill, described the unusual order as “a very interesting and exciting project to be involved with.”
The business, run with co-director Sara Moreton and Nick’s wife Caroline, was initially approached about two years ago, via its website.
Nick was stunned to learn that whereas he assumed the prison constructor wanted just a few radiators, the order quickly ballooned to about 800 of the “extremely heavy” cast iron heaters.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I was initially sceptical, but didn’t dismiss it out of hand. It is one of the biggest orders we have had.”
The order, a whopping 24 tonnes of radiators, has been shipped from a foundry in Turkey and arrived safely in Mexico last week.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
The new prison is an initiative of the Municipal Government of Ju�rez to help reintegrate low risk inmates into society.
Ju�rez, located in the desert across the border from El Paso, Texas, has attracted the tag of being one of the most violent cities in the world as it has suffered a high number of drug-related murders.
However the Mexican federal government has initiated projects to help improve the city’s image and residents’ lives, by increasing employment, safety and education.
Although summer is hot in Ju�rez, winter can see the temperature plummet to 1C (34F).
According to Nick, the huge radiator order is a “positive” for St Albans’ business community, which he described as having an “eclectic range of suppliers.”
“We have also supplied radiators to St Paul’s Cathedral as part of their ongoing refurbishment project.
“There are some positive things happening in St Albans at a time when people are questioning the economy.
“Having the ability to sell and work outside the St Albans area and the UK does show that although we are a small company, we can appeal to a wider audience.”