St Albans pupils school reunion is home from home
THE OWNERS of a former St Albans school opened their doors to 25 visitors at the weekend - all ex-pupils of Holywell House School which closed in 1962 and is now a family home.
The visit was a highlight for former students who travelled as far afield as Yorkshire, Sussex and Gloucestershire to attend the first reunion of the Holywell House School since it closed nearly 50 years ago.
They met for lunch on Saturday at Caf� Rouge, which is situated directly opposite the old school, a Grade II listed Georgian house on Holywell Hill.
The pupils’ time at Holywell House, a Grade II listed building which was a preparatory school for boys and day and boarding school for girls, spanned the mid-1930s when it was founded by Miss Marjorie Cloutte, until its closure.
One of the reunion organisers, Jennifer Taylor, said: “There was an incredible amount of memory sharing, bearing in mind that most of those present had not met up with their contemporaries since they had left the school.
You may also want to watch:
“Photographs, school reports and other memorabilia were passed around. The reunion was joined by David and Heather Foxton, the owners of Holywell House, and the icing on the cake for all was their kind invitation to take a further trip down memory lane by welcoming everyone back to the school which is now their family home.”
Jennifer added: “Going into the ‘school’ stimulated so many more memories - of playing around the chestnut tree in the playground (still there), school dinners and boarders sliding down the grand mahogany bannister. Following on from the success of this event, it is hoped that another reunion may be held in a year or so to give those who were unable to join in this time the opportunity to attend.”
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 4 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 5 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 6 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 7 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
- 8 Turning over a new leaf as lockdown ends
- 9 Plans for 'largest film studio in the UK' revealed for Hertfordshire
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at St Albans office building