8 St Albans pubs serving real ale
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Got a taste for freshly poured real ale straight from the cask? Head to one of these great St Albans pubs to quench your thirst.
A traditional pub for beer connoisseurs, The Mermaid rotates its real ales selection and has a large selection of traditional ciders and Belgian beers as well.
Since 2013, it has consistently claimed the title of South Herts CAMRA Cider Pub and Perry Pub of the Year. And it also has a lovely beer garden.
You may also want to watch:
An independent pub and kitchen with a spacious beer garden, The Great Northern serves up modern European dishes that is in season and locally sourced.
The pub has an extensive wine list, as well as a host of beers, spirits and and ciders on offfer.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
White Hart Tap
One of the oldest pubs in St Albans, the White Hart tap draws an eclectic, fun crowd.
The kitchen is open for dinner and lunch, and there is a large beer garden.
A traditional English pub that prides its self on its selection of real ales. House ale is Harvey’s Sussex Best, and thepub also has gueast ales, real ciders and a selection of gins.
It also has a jukebox, board games, darts and beer garden. No booking required.
A 16th century pub with a large selection of ales and with a charming beer garden.
Currently due to social distancing measures, the White Lion’s kitchen is serving a limited menu which includes a small selection of starters, dishes to share, mains and a Sunday lunch menu too.
A free house with large beer garden in St. Michael’s Village that serves up classic pub dishes, as well as wood-fired pizzas.
The pub, which dates back to the 16th century, also has a wide selection of real ales, and drinks
The Farmers Boy
A refurbished free house with beer garden offering craft beers and a rotating selection of real ales.
The kitchen serves up home-style cooking and tradition pub fare. Dog friendly.
The brewery’s flagship tap rooms boasts 25 draught beers, as well as a wide range or spirits, wines and ciders. There’s also a pizzas menu – with vegan options - should you want something to eat.
And with the beer garden directly overlooking the Abby, it’s a perfect spot for an afternoon beer or two.