8 St Albans pubs serving real ale
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Got a taste for freshly poured real ale straight from the cask? Head to one of these great St Albans pubs to quench your thirst.
A traditional pub for beer connoisseurs, The Mermaid rotates its real ales selection and has a large selection of traditional ciders and Belgian beers as well.
Since 2013, it has consistently claimed the title of South Herts CAMRA Cider Pub and Perry Pub of the Year. And it also has a lovely beer garden.
You may also want to watch:
An independent pub and kitchen with a spacious beer garden, The Great Northern serves up modern European dishes that is in season and locally sourced.
The pub has an extensive wine list, as well as a host of beers, spirits and and ciders on offfer.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
White Hart Tap
One of the oldest pubs in St Albans, the White Hart tap draws an eclectic, fun crowd.
The kitchen is open for dinner and lunch, and there is a large beer garden.
A traditional English pub that prides its self on its selection of real ales. House ale is Harvey’s Sussex Best, and thepub also has gueast ales, real ciders and a selection of gins.
It also has a jukebox, board games, darts and beer garden. No booking required.
A 16th century pub with a large selection of ales and with a charming beer garden.
Currently due to social distancing measures, the White Lion’s kitchen is serving a limited menu which includes a small selection of starters, dishes to share, mains and a Sunday lunch menu too.
A free house with large beer garden in St. Michael’s Village that serves up classic pub dishes, as well as wood-fired pizzas.
The pub, which dates back to the 16th century, also has a wide selection of real ales, and drinks
The Farmers Boy
A refurbished free house with beer garden offering craft beers and a rotating selection of real ales.
The kitchen serves up home-style cooking and tradition pub fare. Dog friendly.
The brewery’s flagship tap rooms boasts 25 draught beers, as well as a wide range or spirits, wines and ciders. There’s also a pizzas menu – with vegan options - should you want something to eat.
And with the beer garden directly overlooking the Abby, it’s a perfect spot for an afternoon beer or two.