St Albans pubs given politically correct “rebranding”
- Credit: Archant
A recent political correctness scandal prompted a tongue in cheek re-brand of local pub names.
A request by animal rights group PETA for Britain’s oldest pub, Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, to change its name to ‘Ye Olde Clever Cocks’ to show compassion for the animals resulted in a national outcry and numerous online parodies, including photos of St Albans pubs with a ‘PC’ re-brand.
Ricky Barnett, 51, of Marshalswick, posted the photos of pubs on the Facebook group St Albans Past and Present.
He said: “I got to thinking which other pubs in St Albans the PC brigade might be offended by, and quickly mocked up images renaming The Cock Inn to ‘The Old Chap’ and The Garibaldi to “Follically (sic) Challenged Gary.”
Most members of the group caught on to Ricky’s joke, but some didn’t quite get the comic nature of the pictures.
You may also want to watch:
Ricky said: “The reaction to the renamed ‘The Cock Inn’ was quite surprising, with some people believing it to actually be genuine, posting some comments like ‘ridiculous’ and ‘shouldn’t have changed it’.”
But Ricky was keen to point out that animal rights are no laughing matter.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
He added: “I think the whole story is hilarious, so long as nothing comes actually comes of it. I am very much against animal cruelty, but history is also important, if not only to remind us of how barbaric we used to be.”