St Albans pub to get major refurbishment
- Credit: Archant
A historic St Albans pub is to receive a £340,000 refurb next month.
The Victoria closes on February 3 for the major revamp and licensees father and son both called Tom Maloney.
The project is expected to take six weeks with the pub scheduled to reopen in mid March, creating 10 jobs.
The Victoria - which dates back to 1871 - will be restored and redecorated on the outside.
The garden is set to be one of the best in St Albans and will feature lighting, heating and covers for year-round use, as well as six screens for sports viewings.
You may also want to watch:
To cater for station users, a coffee hatch in the side of The Victoria that will serve barista coffee from 6.30am and drinks via an app for those in a hurry.
Work to the inside will completely upgrade the building, giving it a contemporary look and a comfortable, welcoming feel. Dishes will range from brunch to burgers and sharing platters. An extended drinks menu will span premium lagers, cask and craft beers, and a superb selection of spirits, cocktails and wines.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 7 A New York state of mind
- 8 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 9 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 10 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
To meet the needs of the town's sports enthusiasts the pub is being kitted out with a high performance sound system and HD screens and will open early and late to show key international games.
Tom said: "My whole family is in pubs and it's great to be able to keep up that tradition in a town I love. St Albans has some brilliant pubs; I'm looking forward to adding to the choice and helping The Victoria thrive again. The pub celebrates its 150th anniversary next year and I'd like it to be at its very best when it does."
Will Rice, Star Pubs & Bars operations director for Herts said: "The Maloneys have a great reputation for creating outstanding pubs and we're delighted to be working with them. With a shortage of places offering a premium live sports experience in St Albans, The Victoria will meet demand for this in the town. The plans will broaden its appeal and provide lots more reasons to visit."