St Albans pub to get major refurbishment
- Credit: Archant
A historic St Albans pub is to receive a £340,000 refurb next month.
The Victoria closes on February 3 for the major revamp and licensees father and son both called Tom Maloney.
The project is expected to take six weeks with the pub scheduled to reopen in mid March, creating 10 jobs.
The Victoria - which dates back to 1871 - will be restored and redecorated on the outside.
The garden is set to be one of the best in St Albans and will feature lighting, heating and covers for year-round use, as well as six screens for sports viewings.
You may also want to watch:
To cater for station users, a coffee hatch in the side of The Victoria that will serve barista coffee from 6.30am and drinks via an app for those in a hurry.
Work to the inside will completely upgrade the building, giving it a contemporary look and a comfortable, welcoming feel. Dishes will range from brunch to burgers and sharing platters. An extended drinks menu will span premium lagers, cask and craft beers, and a superb selection of spirits, cocktails and wines.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 3 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 4 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 5 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 6 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 7 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 8 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 9 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 10 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping
To meet the needs of the town's sports enthusiasts the pub is being kitted out with a high performance sound system and HD screens and will open early and late to show key international games.
Tom said: "My whole family is in pubs and it's great to be able to keep up that tradition in a town I love. St Albans has some brilliant pubs; I'm looking forward to adding to the choice and helping The Victoria thrive again. The pub celebrates its 150th anniversary next year and I'd like it to be at its very best when it does."
Will Rice, Star Pubs & Bars operations director for Herts said: "The Maloneys have a great reputation for creating outstanding pubs and we're delighted to be working with them. With a shortage of places offering a premium live sports experience in St Albans, The Victoria will meet demand for this in the town. The plans will broaden its appeal and provide lots more reasons to visit."