St Albans pub manager praises firefighters after chimney blaze
- Credit: Archant
St Albans firefighters will be treated to a free pub lunch after coming to the rescue when a chimney fire broke out yesterday.
A fire crew from St Albans was called shortly before 5.15pm - during the England V Wales rugby match- to Ye Olde Fighting Cocks in Abbey Mill Lane.
Manager Martin Robinson said: “All of a sudden the chef ran in and said there were flames coming out of the top of the chimney.”
Staff threw a couple of buckets of water over the fire and firefighters arrived swiftly.
Mr Robinson said: “There was no damage so we were very lucky.
You may also want to watch:
“The staff here were on hand immediately.
“The firefighters were here in under five minutes. They lovely, charming. We’re treating them all to dinner.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 3 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
“It should be quite fun.”
Firefighters had dealt with the blaze within about an hour. The pub is open for business as usual today.
*The St Albans crew was called out again shortly after 6.40pm to a domestic address in St Albans.
They received reports of a freezer possibly leaking refrigerant at a home in Sanders Place.
On arrival they found this to be a ‘false alarm with good intent’.