St Albans pub holds hospice fundraising raffle in memory of former barmaid
- Credit: Archant
An historic St Albans pub has raised thousands of pounds in memory of a former barmaid who had met her husband there 30 years earlier.
Anne Doran died at the end of May after being cared for by the Hospice of St Francis in her final weeks. At her funeral her husband Jim, who had met her when she was working at The Hare and Hounds Pub in Sopwell Lane, asked the pub to hold a raffle for the hospice rather than sending flowers or cards.
That raised £800 on the day of Anne’s wake and the fundraising quickly gathered momentum. Elaine Rainsford, licensee of The Hare and Hounds, said: “We all decided to run a fundraising event for the hospice alongside our annual Golf Day, which was organised at the Batchwood Golf Club on the August bank holiday by Simon Wright and raised £800.
“When everyone came back to The Hare and Hounds afterwards, we held a live music evening with three bands and an auction. People and local businesses donated some incredible prizes.”
She added: “It was a real community effort because so many people ran around getting prizes. People were so generous.”
You may also want to watch:
On October 23, Elaine presented a large cheque to Sarah Byrt, a trustee of the hospice. They were joined by Anne Doran’s husband Jim, Elaine’s husband Paul, Simon Wright who organised a fundraising Golf Day, and Vanessa Howden-Smith, In Memoriam fundraising manager at the hospice.
Sarah Byrt, who lives in St Albans, said: “We are hugely grateful to The Hare and Hounds and all its customers, and to Jim Doran for raising such a large sum of money for The Hospice of St Francis. This money will pay for one of the beds in our inpatient unit for 10 days.”
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'