St Albans pub goes back to a traditional name sign
A PUB sign has been changed back to a traditional design with a hand-painted picture depicting the young son of the couple who run it When Ros Wilcox and Douglas Kintu moved into The Farmers Boy in London Road, St Albans, last summer, the sign consisted o
A PUB sign has been changed back to a traditional design with a hand-painted picture depicting the young son of the couple who run it
When Ros Wilcox and Douglas Kintu moved into The Farmers Boy in London Road, St Albans, last summer, the sign consisted of the letters TFB on a plain black background.
Unhappy with the design, they decided to revert back to the sign format in place before it was changed around three years ago.
An order had already been placed with the sign-makers when the pub's gardener, Mark Kingett, who is also an artist, mentioned to Ros that he would like to paint it as he had always wanted to be a sign-writer when he was younger.
You may also want to watch:
So Ros arranged for him to paint the sign - copying the original design which included the son of the owner of the pub who now leases out the premises.
Ros and Douglas' three-year-old son Cameron was incorporated into the painting instead and the new sign has now gone on show.
- 1 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 2 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 3 Police swoop on organised gangs as part of major operation
- 4 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 5 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 6 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 7 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 8 Charity for older people has busiest year ever during pandemic
- 9 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 10 Number of COVID patients in Herts hospitals falls slightly
Ros, who used to work in insurance, said that the new sign has gone down very well with the locals and young Cameron was very proud of it.
A photo of Mark Kingett with the sign, for which he didn't charge the couple, will be going up in the pub shortly to celebrate his work.
The couple, who also have a four-year-old daughter, moved into the pub after deciding on a lifestyle change and Douglas gave up his career as a solicitor.