St Albans Polo club charity event raises thousands for Help the Heroes
FALKLANDS war veteran Simon Weston has been presented with a cheque for nearly �18,000 following a charity event held in St Albans during the summer.
St Albans Polo Club hosted Polo for Heroes to raise money for Help for Heroes, the charity that supports members of Britain’s Armed Forces wounded while serving their country
It featured polo matches involving celebrity and forces teams while TV chef Tristan Welch helped prepare food for the crowds.
Simon was presented with the cheque by Clare Dingwall who helped organise Polo for Heroes together with Tristan and former boxing world champion Steve Collins.
Polo fanatic Clare came up with the idea when she met Tristan, head chef at London’s Launceston Place Restaurant, and fellow polo fan and ex-world middleweight and super middleweight boxing champion Steve at a Chefs for Heroes fundraiser last year.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Polo for Heroes was a fantastic success thanks to the help we received from so many people – and it was a privilege to present the cheque to Simon.”
Another Polo for Heroes event is planned in St Albans on Saturday, July 23, next year. More information can be found at www.poloforheroes.co.uk
- 1 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 2 Hitchin and Harpenden MP responds to questions over new £2,500 a month part-time role
- 3 Why is there a 50mph speed limit on small section of A414?
- 4 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 5 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 6 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 7 Increase in electric car charging points thanks to new partnership
- 8 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 9 Oaklands College principal leaving after 10 years
- 10 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users