St Albans Podcast: Celebrating half a century since Conservation Area designation
- Credit: Archant
Half a century ago, St Albans council was one of the first local authorities to designate a Conservation Area around the city.
On this week's St Albans Podcast, community broadcaster Danny Smith will be learning all about its history from Robert Pankhurst, a member of Conservation 50.
This is a collaboration group between the St Albans Civic Society, Abbey Precincts Residents Association and Aboyne Residents Association, which was set up to celebrate the city's 50th conservation anniversary.
Its headline event is a conference on July 6 at Dagnall Street Baptist Church from 2pm.
Host Danny will also be chatting with OVO theatre company chair David Widdowson, who returns to the podcast for his regular feature.
He tells Danny about what is happening around St Albans theatres, for example at the Abbey Theatre, Maltings Arts Theatre, and the Roman Theatre Festival.
Regular highlights on the St Albans Podcast are returning as usual, including local news items from Herts Ad reporter Franki Berry and a light-hearted look at an international story from Sam Rolfe and Ian Rogers.
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 8 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 9 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
St Albans Podcast was launched in conjunction with the Herts Ad earlier this year. The next episode is available tonight (June 12) at 7pm.