St Albans playground charity “absolutely stoked” by £15,000 donation
- Credit: Archant
Verulamium at Play has been boosted by a big donation towards the renovation of a city playground.
The group is working to renovate the play area in Verulamium Park, with an overall fundraising goal of £250,000. Thanks to the donation, they are now over a quarter of the way there.
The donor did not wish for their identity to be made public.
One of the group’s co-founders, district councillor Jessica Chivers, said she was “blown away” by the donation.
The cost of new play equipment for the 30-year-old site is likely to be around £150,000, with costs associated with protecting the park, a Scheduled Ancient Mounument, estimated to be a maximum of £100,000.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to the donation, the park has also been helped by local businesses, with assistance from Waitrose and and the nearby Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub.
The landlord, Christo Tofalli, said: “Our social responsibility starts at our doorstep.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
“Verulamium at Play is a very worthwhile cause as the park sorely needs love and tender care.”
Visit verulamiumatplay.org.uk to find out more about the charity.