St Albans playground charity “absolutely stoked” by £15,000 donation
- Credit: Archant
Verulamium at Play has been boosted by a big donation towards the renovation of a city playground.
The group is working to renovate the play area in Verulamium Park, with an overall fundraising goal of £250,000. Thanks to the donation, they are now over a quarter of the way there.
The donor did not wish for their identity to be made public.
One of the group’s co-founders, district councillor Jessica Chivers, said she was “blown away” by the donation.
The cost of new play equipment for the 30-year-old site is likely to be around £150,000, with costs associated with protecting the park, a Scheduled Ancient Mounument, estimated to be a maximum of £100,000.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to the donation, the park has also been helped by local businesses, with assistance from Waitrose and and the nearby Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub.
The landlord, Christo Tofalli, said: “Our social responsibility starts at our doorstep.
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 5 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 6 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 9 Cheers! Great Northern pub set to host beer and cider festival
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
“Verulamium at Play is a very worthwhile cause as the park sorely needs love and tender care.”
Visit verulamiumatplay.org.uk to find out more about the charity.