St Albans park needs your vote after being shortlisted in national contest
- Credit: Archant
A local MP is urging people to get online and vote for a park in St Albans after it was shortlisted as one of the UK’s best parks.
Anne Main MP described the Victoria Playing Fields between Folly Lane and Verulam Road - which comes fully-fitted with grass, trees and mud - as the “lungs of the city” and urged its fans to log on and vote.
She said: “Open spaces are a vital part of the city centre - they are the lungs of the city. People have hectic and busy lives so it is important that in cities like St Albans we have outdoor spaces that local people can enjoy with their families.”
The park, which is just a park, is shortlisted alongside 34 others in London & the East of England, and 120 nationally, meaning that competition for the coveted prize is likely to be fierce.
Mrs Main added: “Victoria playing fields encapsulates all that is good about St Albans: it has a long history, perhaps dating back to the Roman period; it has been use in industry; and was granted to the city of St Albans by a local, philanthropic businessman, Charles Woollam.”
You may also want to watch:
Fields in Trust, which aims to provide everyone with ‘free, local outdoor space for sport, play and recreation’ described Victoria Playing Fields as, “a haven for folks” and said that it provided a “brilliant and beautiful green space in what is a fairly urban environment.”
To vote for the park, or to browse through others which have been shortlisted, click here.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 3 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 6 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 7 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 8 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 9 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 10 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping