St Albans park needs your vote after being shortlisted in national contest
- Credit: Archant
A local MP is urging people to get online and vote for a park in St Albans after it was shortlisted as one of the UK’s best parks.
Anne Main MP described the Victoria Playing Fields between Folly Lane and Verulam Road - which comes fully-fitted with grass, trees and mud - as the “lungs of the city” and urged its fans to log on and vote.
She said: “Open spaces are a vital part of the city centre - they are the lungs of the city. People have hectic and busy lives so it is important that in cities like St Albans we have outdoor spaces that local people can enjoy with their families.”
The park, which is just a park, is shortlisted alongside 34 others in London & the East of England, and 120 nationally, meaning that competition for the coveted prize is likely to be fierce.
Mrs Main added: “Victoria playing fields encapsulates all that is good about St Albans: it has a long history, perhaps dating back to the Roman period; it has been use in industry; and was granted to the city of St Albans by a local, philanthropic businessman, Charles Woollam.”
You may also want to watch:
Fields in Trust, which aims to provide everyone with ‘free, local outdoor space for sport, play and recreation’ described Victoria Playing Fields as, “a haven for folks” and said that it provided a “brilliant and beautiful green space in what is a fairly urban environment.”
To vote for the park, or to browse through others which have been shortlisted, click here.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 8 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
- 9 St Albans man's charity walk in memory of dad who died following heart attack
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to