St Albans new police station opened
- Credit: Archant
St Albans’ new police station has been officially opened by the mayor.
Officers moved into the new location in the Civic Centre back in April, but last Thursday’s ceremony was held to celebrate the transition from the previous building in Victoria Street.
The new station was opened by Mayor Cllr Salih Gaygusuz, Herts Police Commissioner David Lloyd, Chief Constable Andy Bliss and St Albans Chief Inspector Ken Townsend, and a signed portrait of HM The Queen was unveiled as part of the ceremony.
Chief Constable Andy Bliss said: “St Albans’ original police station was originally built in 1964 and is no longer fit for purpose. These are exciting times as the new fit-for-purpose offices provide a more modern patrol base for officers.”
Ch Insp Townsend said: “Some members of the public may not be aware that we have moved as the service delivered by the Constabulary hasn’t changed. Police officers and PCSOs continue to spend the majority of their time out and about dealing with criminals and anti-social behaviour.
“There is no front counter service; however the council has kindly supported us with the provision of a Police Advice and Information Point which is in the reception area, where officers will hold a surgery every Wednesday between 10am and 12pm.”
You may also want to watch:
The Mayor added: “Opening the police station in the Civil Centre is a significant move that is helping to improve the already strong relationship between the police, the local community and professional partners. It is part of the council’s work to bring services together in the Civic Centre’s central location to improve access for residents.”
- 1 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 8 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 9 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire