St Albans neighbours unite against housing development
CONCERNED St Albans residents have come together in a bid to defeat a planning application for a new housing development. At least 15 Oswald Road and Ridgmont Road residents are battling against the proposed application, which would see six lock-up garage
CONCERNED St Albans residents have come together in a bid to defeat a planning application for a new housing development.
At least 15 Oswald Road and Ridgmont Road residents are battling against the proposed application, which would see six lock-up garages in Oswald Road knocked down and replaced by three two-bedroom houses.
Kevin Vaughan, who lives next to the proposed development, said that Oswald Road was too narrow to accommodate extra housing: "Not only will the development deprive nearby residents of light to their properties, it will also result in more cars competing for fewer parking spaces and will be extremely disruptive to residents during the constructive period."
Kevin and his fellow supporters, including district councillor for St Peters ward Cllr Michael Green, have invited planning committee members to look around the site this weekend and will be asking them to oppose the application.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Green, who called in the application to committee, said he thought the residents had a good case: "No-one would suggest that the existing garages are an architectural delight, but this application is like trying to fit a quart into a pint pot in order to maximise profits. Unfortunately this is an all-too-common problem in my ward.
- 1 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 2 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 3 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 4 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 5 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 6 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 7 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 8 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate