St Albans Museum + Gallery shortlisted for construction award
- Credit: Archant
St Albans Museum + Gallery has been shortlisted for a prize at the British Construction Industry Awards.
Nominated in the 'cultural and leisure projects of the year' category, the city's £7.75m museum and gallery, which opened in June 2018, found itself pitched against transformational projects such as the £80.11 V&A Dundee Museum.
Speaking at the awards ceremony on Wednesday, October 9, Herts county Cllr Annie Brewster said: "What a David and Goliath moment.
"We were amazed to be shortlisted and, quite frankly, had no expectation of winning anything at all."
The judging panel was made up of 72 industry leaders, and a delegation of judges visited every project.
You may also want to watch:
The Museum + Gallery received so much support from the judges that it was awarded one of the few runners-up prizes given in any category, in the form of a 'Highly Commended' award.
- 1 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 2 Street food market in St Albans city centre to celebrate Eid
- 3 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 4 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 5 London Colney paddling pool to close - but splash pad replacement approved
- 6 County council leader unseated in shock result
- 7 Elections: Liberal Democrats take control of St Albans district council
- 8 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted
- 9 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 10 Property Spotlight: A fine fixer-upper close to popular St Albans schools