St Albans mums launch campaign to tackle spate of dog mess
- Credit: Archant
A trio of mums who are fed up with dog poo littering their children’s pathway to school have taken it upon themselves to shame the culprits.
Sarah Baxter, Pauline Swindells and Cheryl Luzet, whose children attend Camp School in St Albans, have started to put miniature flags in the dog poo that clogs the walkway to the school.
The mums hope to shame the those leaving behind the excrement after becoming frustrated at the rising amount left behind.
Cheryl said that the issue had become increasingly bad in the past year, and despite the council’s effort to clean up the faeces, the problem persisted.
She continued: “It’s a way of embarrassing the person or people who have been doing it and we can keep track of when they’re appearing.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been campaigning to the council for a sign but there’s no money in the budget, and picking it all up would be a full time job, so we’ve decided to show the person that it’s not gone unnoticed.”
The mums have raised concerns about the health of their children. Cheryl continued: “Young children are most at risk as they frequently sit on the carpet at school and put their hands in their mouths.”
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Sarah said: “My children enjoy walking to school but I can’t let my two year old out of her buggy as the problem is so persistent. One day last week I counted 10 episodes on a small stretch of road.”
Action against the individual can only be taken if they are caught in the act. Cheryl added: “Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this and the culprits will realise the negative effect it is having on the community.”