St Albans mums organise upcycled fashion show in aid of refugees
- Credit: Archant
Two local mums are hosting a fashion show to inspire a love of creativity and upcycling across the district, and to raise money for charity.
Sarah Gerrard-Jones and Eliza Lau-Johnston are organising the event in aid of Help Refugees.
Models will showcase 20 outfits styled exclusively from repurposed charity shop clothes.
Initially meeting through their daughters, who are both named Eva, the friends became close through a mutual love of clothes.
Eliza, who used to make TV documentaries, said she loves to wear bright clothes and host parties: “When it was really cold in March an image popped up on my Facebook of tents in Calais and I thought ‘How can anyone be living in tents in this weather?’
You may also want to watch:
“So we wanted to do something a bit meaningful rather than just put on a fashion show.”
The catwalk has been scheduled to coincide with Refugee Week 2018 - which runs from June 18 to 24.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 6 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 7 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
They are aiming to raise at least £1,500 for the humanitarian aid charity.
Eliza also hopes this fashion show is the start of her new events business in St Albans.
“For me, it is not so much the event, I want to create an immersive experience that when people leave they are still thinking about it and feeling inspired.”
At the fashion show guests can also enjoy a DJ, Prosecco, and a raffle of prizes.
All the clothes worn by models will be available to buy after the show.
Eliza and Sarah have set up an Instagram account to document their outfit creations - see it at @twenty_outfits
One of the posts says: “It’s getting harder and harder to edit the items for the show! I want to keep them all! Love this fringe top and coat.”
Another explained: “Having a styling session with my partner in crime. Loving this 80s dynasty influenced jumpsuit from @littlevikingvintage With or without the shoulder pads?”
One was a picture of yellow high heels: “These fluoro yellow heels are so me! If only I can walk in them...and only £6!”
It will be on June 23 at Kingsbury Barn on Branch Road, from 4pm till 6pm. Tickets are available at www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/twenty-outfits-tickets- 44005772450
Any models who feel confident about strutting their stuff on the catwalk should contact Eliza on 0774 7750857.