St Albans Mummers to perform St George and the Dragon this Boxing Day
- Credit: Archant
The St Albans Mummers will be performing their traditional Christmas play, St George and the Dragon, all over town this Boxing Day.
The performances start at the Museum + Gallery at 11.30am followed by the White Hart Hotel at 12.20pm, the West Door of the Abbey at 1pm, the Fighting Cocks at 1.50pm and finally the Clock Tower at 2.40pm.
Any funds raised from the performances will be donated to charity.
According to the programme, the show features "signs of conflict, life, death and resurrection, plus some awful jokes but in the best possible taste".
The play was first performed in 1967 and is essentially the same today. The cast, however, has changed a bit over the years and members of the original audience now bring their grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
Each performance is a little different as the Mummers like to include topical items and interact with the public.
- 1 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 2 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 3 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 4 May 17th: How one independent pub chain is coping
- 5 Charter Market gazebos plan is fait accomplit says portfolio holder
- 6 New £250K play park to be built in Harpenden
- 7 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 8 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 9 Festival applications granted for St Albans' Springfield Farm
- 10 May 17th: Harpenden's White Horse boasts record bookings since lockdown lifted