St Albans MS sufferer back at the steering wheel
- Credit: Archant
A multiple sclerosis patient has returned to driving after an eight year break thanks to support from the Herts MS Therapy Centre’s mobile clinic.
St Albans resident Frances Rotchell was diagnosed with MS 25 years ago, and because the condition often affects balance and coordination Mrs Rotchell thought her driving days were over, especially when combined with a shoulder dislocation.
“I lost my confidence and needed support to regain my driving skills,” she explained.
Two years ago, she discovered the mobile clinic of the Herts MS Therapy Centre at Charters Health Club in Russet Drive, St Albans. Her regular weekly visits and commitment to the exercises provided by the specialist physio at the clinic have renewed her confidence.
“The personalised exercises have been very beneficial,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Her physio, Ben, helped Mrs Rotchell with her walking and balance to the extent that she’s now driving a car again.
“The sense of freedom in attending local events and locations has restored my confidence in leading a more independent lifestyle.”
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 10 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
The mobile physio clinic is in St Albans every Monday and demand within St Albans has been huge.
Mark Boscher, chief executive of registered charity Herts MS Therapy Centre, said: “While we specialise in helping those with a neurological condition, such as MS or Parkinson’s, or after a stroke, our physio treatments are available to all. Call us on 01462 684214 for an appointment.”
If you know of a hall or community centre in or around St Albans which may be able to accommodate the mobile clinic, please contact Mark or Claire on 01462 684214.
For more information about the support offered by Herts MS Therapy Centre, visit www.hertsmstherapy.org.uk