St Albans MS sufferer back at the steering wheel
- Credit: Archant
A multiple sclerosis patient has returned to driving after an eight year break thanks to support from the Herts MS Therapy Centre’s mobile clinic.
St Albans resident Frances Rotchell was diagnosed with MS 25 years ago, and because the condition often affects balance and coordination Mrs Rotchell thought her driving days were over, especially when combined with a shoulder dislocation.
“I lost my confidence and needed support to regain my driving skills,” she explained.
Two years ago, she discovered the mobile clinic of the Herts MS Therapy Centre at Charters Health Club in Russet Drive, St Albans. Her regular weekly visits and commitment to the exercises provided by the specialist physio at the clinic have renewed her confidence.
“The personalised exercises have been very beneficial,” she said.
Her physio, Ben, helped Mrs Rotchell with her walking and balance to the extent that she’s now driving a car again.
“The sense of freedom in attending local events and locations has restored my confidence in leading a more independent lifestyle.”
- 1 St Albans restaurant wins big in Curry Oscars
- 2 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 3 Property Spotlight: A stunning pub conversion in central St Albans
- 4 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 5 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 6 Rearranged waste and recycling bin collection dates for Christmas and January in St Albans
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 8 Founding CAMRA pub is on the market
- 9 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 10 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
The mobile physio clinic is in St Albans every Monday and demand within St Albans has been huge.
Mark Boscher, chief executive of registered charity Herts MS Therapy Centre, said: “While we specialise in helping those with a neurological condition, such as MS or Parkinson’s, or after a stroke, our physio treatments are available to all. Call us on 01462 684214 for an appointment.”
If you know of a hall or community centre in or around St Albans which may be able to accommodate the mobile clinic, please contact Mark or Claire on 01462 684214.
For more information about the support offered by Herts MS Therapy Centre, visit www.hertsmstherapy.org.uk