St Albans MP raises school places controversy in Parliament
THE shortfall of school places in the district is set to be discussed at a meeting between the schools minister and local councils thanks to MP Anne Main. The St Albans MP secured the meeting during a parliamentary debate on the situation in the country a
THE shortfall of school places in the district is set to be discussed at a meeting between the schools minister and local councils thanks to MP Anne Main.
The St Albans MP secured the meeting during a parliamentary debate on the situation in the country as a whole yesterday afternoon (Wednesday).
Mrs Main has attended numerous meetings with frustrated parents who have yet to secure their child a primary or secondary school of choice.
During the debate with the parliamentary under-secretary of state for schools and learners, Sarah McCarthy-Fry, Mrs Main said: "In my area, some parents still do not know what will happen. The continuing interest rules are causing deep disquiet. People are keeping their options open, having been allocated perhaps a third-choice school, in the hope that they will move up the ranks. Other parents have no school place whatsoever for their child. I hope that the minister will deal with some of those issues."
You may also want to watch:
Upon leaving the chamber, she said: "I think I put across forcefully the perverse consequences the current system has caused in our city. In recent weeks, I have had lengthy meetings, correspondence and conversations with parents on this issue and I know how disappointed many local parents are."
She added: "I am grateful to the minister for agreeing to this meeting and I hope we will be able to find a way forward for local families.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests