St Albans MP quizzes rail chiefs over rail freight depot plans
NETWORK Rail representatives were floored when St Albans MP Anne Main pressed them on the potential impact of the Park Street rail freight depot scheme in the House of Commons. At a meeting of the All-Party Parliamentary Thameslink Group on Tuesday, she q
NETWORK Rail representatives were floored when St Albans MP Anne Main pressed them on the potential impact of the Park Street rail freight depot scheme in the House of Commons.
At a meeting of the All-Party Parliamentary Thameslink Group on Tuesday, she quizzed a team from Network Rail on their lack of consideration of the potential impact of the proposed rail freight depot on passenger services.
During a lengthy presentation on the future of Thameslink, Network Rail spokesmen Graham Goodwin and Rob Smith failed to make any reference to the potential impact of complex rail pathings and rail possessions which are expected to result from the Park Street proposal if it is approved.
After the meeting Mrs Main said: "I had real concerns that this presentation on the future of Thameslink seemed to fall down when it came to questioning. There was a degree of embarrassment when I sought assurances about the potential impact of the Park Street rail freight proposal on the Thameslink programme."
You may also want to watch:
She pointed out that all the Network Rail representatives could say was that they needed to talk to their route director and she felt they should have already done so if they were to talk with authority on the delivery of Thameslink.
Mrs Main added: "Frankly I was surprised at the lack of communication which is taking place within Network Rail. This smacks of a silo mentality and this is exactly why Network Rail should have been cross-examined at the rail freight inquiry.
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 4 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 5 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 6 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 7 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford
- 9 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area