St Albans MP backed by local Tories
BELEAGUERED MP Anne Main has been given a 100 per cent vote of confidence by her grassroots workers. At a special meeting of the St Albans Conservative Association (SACA) last night (28/5) she was invited to correct press speculation on her second home
BELEAGUERED MP Anne Main has been given a "100 per cent vote of confidence" by her grassroots workers.
At a special meeting of the St Albans Conservative Association (SACA) last night (28/5) she was invited to correct press speculation on her second home in the district.
A SACA spokesperson said: "Addressing a crowded room, Mrs Main answered openly and comprehensively all questions put to her by members. Many members reported messages of support for Anne which had been conveyed to them on the doorstep during their campaigning for the local elections."
Mrs Main said: "The officers and the audience were 100 per cent supportive of me and satisfied that I need a home here in St Albans to fulfil my duties to my constituents."
You may also want to watch:
She added that she was happy to answer all their questions and had always been transparent about her living arrangements which were no secret.
The SACA spokesperson said: "At the close of the meeting the Chairman expressed once again our unequivocal support for Mrs Main and thanked her for her unstinting hard work for the people of Saint Albans. Mrs Main left the room to warm applause."
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Sandridge student takes on running challenge for Mind
- 5 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 6 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 7 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire market town of Hitchin
- 8 'Nothing will take away what she has done to our daughter'
- 9 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 10 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier
Mrs Main was singled out by the Daily Telegraph, which has conducted a campaign against MPs' expenses abuses, as allowing her daughter to live rent free in her St Albans flat.But Mrs Main claims her daughter did not live there full-time.