St Albans MP appears to give wrong date for Saint Alban’s Day at PMQs
- Credit: Archant
It is one of the most important dates in St Albans’ calendar - yet the city’s MP appeared to give the wrong date for Saint Alban’s Day when she was called to speak at prime minister’s questions this afternoon.
Mrs Main linked the holiday and the Alban Pilgrimage to a question on protections for religious groups.
She said: “Today is the festival saint’s day of Saint Alban, and his pilgrimage was celebrated on Saturday...”
While the date for the pilgrimage is correct, St Albans cathedral’s website gives this year’s date for the holiday as Friday, June 22 2017.
Mrs Main has been approached for comment.
Saint Alban, the subject of several celebrations in the past few days, was given sainthood after being killed by the Romans for sheltering a priest.
It was on the theme of religious persecution that Mrs Main asked: “What more can be done to protect persons of faith, particularly students on campus who are suffering large amounts of anti-semitism?”
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 5 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 6 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 7 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
The prime minister said in reply the government was supporting faith groups, including Muslim communities suffering from Islamophobia.