St Albans MP appears to give wrong date for Saint Alban’s Day at PMQs
- Credit: Archant
It is one of the most important dates in St Albans’ calendar - yet the city’s MP appeared to give the wrong date for Saint Alban’s Day when she was called to speak at prime minister’s questions this afternoon.
Mrs Main linked the holiday and the Alban Pilgrimage to a question on protections for religious groups.
She said: “Today is the festival saint’s day of Saint Alban, and his pilgrimage was celebrated on Saturday...”
While the date for the pilgrimage is correct, St Albans cathedral’s website gives this year’s date for the holiday as Friday, June 22 2017.
Mrs Main has been approached for comment.
You may also want to watch:
Saint Alban, the subject of several celebrations in the past few days, was given sainthood after being killed by the Romans for sheltering a priest.
It was on the theme of religious persecution that Mrs Main asked: “What more can be done to protect persons of faith, particularly students on campus who are suffering large amounts of anti-semitism?”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 5 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 8 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 9 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 10 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
The prime minister said in reply the government was supporting faith groups, including Muslim communities suffering from Islamophobia.