St Albans MP meets Thameslink CEO after ‘summer of chaos’
- Credit: Archant
St Albans MP Anne Main has met Thameslink’s CEO after what she called a “summer of chaos” for her commuting constituents.
Commuters have complained of delays, overcrowding and cancellations on train services run by Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) through St Albans City and elsewhere since a timetable change in May that GTR had not properly prepared for.
Yesterday, Mrs Main met with the new CEO of GTR, Patrick Verwer, to discuss ongoing issues with the service and possible improvements.
She said: “He certainly has a major job on his hands at GTR. Passengers in St Albans and across the country have had to endure a summer of chaos and only now we are starting to see a more reliable service. Obviously big improvements have been made since the disruption in late May, but there is still a long way to go before St Albans commuters are receiving value for money.”
Mr Verwer told her the May timetable, which was thrown overboard after the disruption began, would be in place by December and would greatly increase peak-time services between St Albans and London.
You may also want to watch:
GTR has rolled out a compensation scheme for customers who were caught up in the disruption, which has been recently extended to affected travellers who did not have season tickets at the time.
Mrs Main said: “Thameslink still have a lot of work to do and we must continue to keep the pressure on them to deliver a service that matches the sky-high fees they charge. News of the extended compensation for non-season ticket holders is welcomed and we must see continued improvements to the service over the coming weeks and months.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 8 Revealed: The most and least expensive places to buy a property in Hertfordshire
- 9 St Albans man's charity walk in memory of dad who died following heart attack
- 10 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans