St Albans MP Anne Main receives death threat
- Credit: Archant
St Albans MP Anne Main has criticised the current state of political discourse after receiving a death threat the day after a December general election date was agreed.
She said: "I have received another death threat last night, which goes along with the many abusive and unpleasant emails I have received during the last few years.
"I am very sorry that our political discourse has stooped to this level and it is worrying that we are seeing lots of MPs standing down, citing the abuse they receive as their main reason for doing so.
"The police take these matters very seriously and I, like many other MPs, are very grateful for their support.
"When I said that I will not be cowed, I meant it. I don't think any politician or candidate should be abused or subjected to death threats because of their political views and they should do what they think is right without fear or favour.
You may also want to watch:
"The upcoming general election [on December 12] will be a hard-fought campaign, but I want to urge all of us - whether that be candidates, party activists or even people on the doorsteps - to treat everyone with respect and kindness.
"Using abusive language to people who are simply trying to do what they think is right does not benefit any of us."
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 Green light given to new hospital project
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area